Frequently Asked Questions
How does Lower Secondary, IGCSE and AS and A Levels compare to the South African grade system?
Lower Secondary 8 and 9 are the South African equivalent to grades 8, 9, which we complete over a 2 year period. IGCSE is a combination of grade 10 and 11 with the aim of completing over an 24 month period. Our AS and A levels combined are a two year programme, either equivalent to a South African grade 12 or grade 13, the latter which serves as a bridging year for university.
What are the IEB, CAPS and Cambridge CIE systems?
- Independent Examinations Board (IEB) is an independent South African academic assessment body
- The (University of) Cambridge International Education (CIE) is a provider of international school-leaving qualifications
- Curriculum Assessment Policy Statements (CAPS) outlines and monitors the structure of the South African National Senior Certificate (NSC)
The main distinction between these assessment systems is that the CIE is an assessment system established by an international assessment body, whereas both the IEB and CAPS systems are South African.
What are the benefits of Cambridge?
- International curriculum (sets a global standard)
- Teaching and Learning (The Cambridge teacher and learner attributes inspire a love of learning)
- Assessments that are fair, valid, reliable and practical
- International Recognition (qualifications that are valued by universities and employers around the world)
- Global community (there are nearly a million students in 10 000 schools in 160 countries)
Can I apply to a South African University with Cambridge qualifications?
South African universities will grant exemption certificates to holders of Cambridge International AS or A level provided they meet certain criteria and subject group requirements. Click here for more information.
How many students are there per class at McKinlay Reid?
Our teacher to student to ratio is usually less than, but will not exceed 12:1.
What subject choices do you offer?
- Lower Secondary: Mathematics, English, Science (Biology, Chemistry and Physics), Second Language (Afrikaans or French) and Social Science
- IGCSE and AS/A levels: Mathematics, English, Afrikaans, French (IGCSE only), Business, Economics, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Environmental Management (not currently available on A Level) and Global Perspectives.
Do I need to be a student at McKinlay Reid to sit the CIE exams?
No, we are a Cambridge CIE examination centre and therefore we can accept examination entries from external students.